Cardio a short form of cardiovascular, is a form of exercise that raises our heart rate while performing a steady state exercise. It benefits our heart, lungs and blood vessels due to movement of the body parts, making our muscles stronger and efficient. To get the most benefit from cardio workouts, one should perform 3 to 4 sessions of this exercise per week, ensuring that the heart rate is bit higher than normal. Longer workouts burn more fat and are good for weight control.
There are countless choices for cardio exercises, from various forms of dance to rebounding and jumping jacks. Few examples are, walking, jogging, cycling rowing, jumping rope, steppers and cross trainers.
Walking is one of the most common cardio exercise done by human. It is recommended that if walking is selected as a cardio exercise then the walk should be brisk so that one is slightly out of breath and warm. Arms must be used to intensify our walking and to increase the calorie burning process. American Heart Association recommends that adults should have 150 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity per week. This comes out to be physical activity of around 30 minutes at least for 5 days a week, with following benefits:
- Reduce your risk of coronary heart diseaseand stroke
- Improve your blood pressure, blood sugar levels and blood lipid profile
- Maintain your body weightand lower the risk of obesity
- Enhance your mental well-being
- Reduce your risk of osteoporosis
- Reduce your risk of non-insulin dependent (type 2) diabetes
- Improve cholesterol profile
- Increase our energyand stamina
Jogging is another form of cardio exercise in which people do running at a slow or leisurely pace. The aim is to improve physical fitness and burn calories with less stress on the body. Regular running or jogging offers many health benefits, such as:
- help to build strong bones with lowering blood pressure
- strengthen muscles
- improve cardiovascular fitness by burning plenty of calories
- help maintain a healthy weight with improved cholesterol profile